Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Eternal Champion
05-07-2007, 04:04 AM,
The Eternal Champion
It's not a new concept, but I realize I've been pretty much playing around with it for months, even years now.

The Eternal Champion is an idea where someone with very similar traits exists in multiple universes, but is not the same person, and does not even have the same name.  There might be different parents, completely different backgrounds (one born a pauper, the other a prince), but always, always a tantalizing similarity here and there, and often you find that they would react very much the same way to similar circumstances.  This, however, is not a coincidence of many writers thinking similarly, but one writer thinking epically.

I've found myself writing stories featuring a mysterious near-superhuman warrior, often dressed in red, and traveling alone throughout the world, even when he has companions on all sides...

05-07-2007, 05:45 AM,
Re: The Eternal Champion
hmmm another great puzzle of Universe.

btw, this could be a very interesting concept for a movie, book or game. Multiple universe, different people, time and space collapse, they meet, talk, investigate and found out that they are the same person. Actually personality, than they meet... hmm aliens? evil mind... God? something like this. I do nto know, we may ponder upon this Wink
"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils." - Hector Berlioz
05-07-2007, 12:23 PM,
I like that idea very much. It's gonna be interesting reading this stuff.  8)
"First let me say welcome to the Resistance, Captain."
05-07-2007, 04:37 PM,
(05-07-2007, 05:45 AM)Cyberion link Wrote: hmmm another great puzzle of Universe.

btw, this could be a very interesting concept for a movie, book or game. Multiple universe, different people, time and space collapse, they meet, talk, investigate and found out that they are the same person. Actually personality, than they meet... hmm aliens? evil mind... God? something like this. I do nto know, we may ponder upon this Wink

Already been done.  That's where the title comes from.  The Eternal Champion is, I believe, the title of a series by Michael Moorcock, about a character named Elric of Melnibone.
05-07-2007, 06:22 PM,
Also there is a movie called The One with Jet Li.

Here is a summary of the story:

There is not one universe, but there are many, which is a multiverse. Supposing you are just one person, there are many other versions of you in the other universes, there are ways to travel, but only a police agency,MVA, can travel only for police procedures. Gabriel Yulaw (Jet Li)is a former MVA agent, who killed another version of himself in self-defense. It made the other versions of him stronger. When Yulaw found out about this, he became power-hungry killing the 122 other versions for two years.

I shortened it a bit ^^
05-07-2007, 08:36 PM,
I saw that movie Big Grin They took great idea and showed us 2 Jet Lees Big Grin That's where this great idea stopped and mortal kombat began.

But I would love to see something, which develops this idea. Did anyone watched Parrelle Worlds (spelling)? It was a TV series. Although i'm not quite sure about the english name for it. The idea of being in multiple universe was developed there quite good I must say...
"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils." - Hector Berlioz
05-08-2007, 01:02 PM,
    One (and the only one) of my favorite novels that has something to do with multi-universes is Timeline by Michael Crichton.  Of coz, such concept in the book is for use to replace the old-fashioned time traveling only. No plot of someone fights/meets with himself is invovled. Anyway, it's kind of refreshment when I was first introduced to such theory by reading it.
05-09-2007, 08:55 AM,
(05-07-2007, 08:36 PM)Cyberion link Wrote: Did anyone watched Parrelle Worlds (spelling)? It was a TV series. Although i'm not quite sure about the english name for it. The idea of being in multiple universe was developed there quite good I must say...

The only TV series I know about multiple universe is Sliders... Is it that one ?
Bureaucracy destroys initiative. There is little that bureaucrats hate more than innovation, especially innovation that produces better results than the old routines. Improvements always make those at the top of the heap look inept. Who enjoys appearing inept? - FH
05-09-2007, 10:18 AM,
hmmm probably, have an image?
05-11-2007, 10:02 AM,
Difficult to find images of Sliders on Internet !... I found a French site which have 3 : it's here !...
Bureaucracy destroys initiative. There is little that bureaucrats hate more than innovation, especially innovation that produces better results than the old routines. Improvements always make those at the top of the heap look inept. Who enjoys appearing inept? - FH