Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
General Coding Discussion
03-24-2008, 07:48 AM,
Re: Coding
wow great. I'm going to check it. However I fear that only on thursday will have time. In business trip right now. Damn it.

Heoga, you are Da BEST!
"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils." - Hector Berlioz
05-17-2008, 11:26 AM,
whew, taken a while but I'm back up and running again.  All the code that got lost is back in place, so it's onwards and upwards!
05-19-2008, 11:04 AM,
This is what makes me feel positive! Great job! And thx God that everything has passed.
"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils." - Hector Berlioz
05-21-2008, 01:50 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-21-2008, 04:24 PM by Heoga.)
I've made a first mock up of a HUD for the game.  I've made a few small changes that I feel make it more useable for those familiar with source games.  The health and armor bars are on the left (source) rather as the right (crusader) and the opposite is true of the ammo.  I've knocked the weapon display out altogether as it should be shown in the player's hands anyway.  The inventory is located bottom centre as always, but I've not made any icons yet so there is nothing but a square box in it.  That said, in all other aspects it is fully operational and awaits only the code for specific items now.

[Image: arena0000s.jpg]
05-21-2008, 06:37 PM,
Hey thats nice to see,
but i am asking myself: is there still any other progress ?
05-24-2008, 05:56 PM,
Fantastic work on that HUD, Heoga, I read about your hardware troubles and became worried, but I'm glad you got it all sorted.
05-26-2008, 01:03 AM,
Yeah, superb work. That's definitely some progress. 

this makes me eager to get some work done myself. Smile

06-05-2008, 08:54 AM,
Okay the security cameras are starting to come along now.  I have it so that they will scan around and look for the player.  What's more, when they do find the player they trigger the nearest alarm box and set off the alarm.  All this without the need for I/O connections.  Still to do with these is to fine tune their scanning speed to something that gives the player a chance as at the moment they have the vision of gods.  Also, I have to handle their death so that they spark and do a little animation.

On another note, I was looking over the entities in the first room as a guide for priorities and noticed the computer terminals were missing from the list.  I've had some ideas for these and I'd like to share them to see if people agree or not.

Okay so, my plan is to take the computer model and add an attachment point in the bottom left of the screen.  I can then attach a VGUI screen to this when the model spawns.  Now, if memory serves there are essentially only 6 kinds of computer terminal in the game
  • Security Terminals (closing off alarms)
  • Control Terminals (taking control of mechs)
  • Access Terminals (opening doors etc)
  • Viewing Stations (looking through cameras)
  • Hint Terminals (providing access codes)
  • General Stations (wec network experienced difficulties etc)

Now, my plan is to make 6 types of VGUI screen, one for each, but then for each screen have a large number of screens defined in text files.  When a screen spawns, it generates a random number, saves this number with save games so it's not lost, then uses the number to select a random screen from the possibilities.

The idea is to ensure that each time the mod is played, different screens get generated just to keep it a little interesting.