Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forum spam
01-01-2011, 05:59 PM,
Re: Forum spam
I would recommend we add re-captcha on both. It takes care of about 95% of the spam account creation although it seems a few still seem to get by (usually using foreign email hosters like mailinator, mail.ru, etc). We could add a honey pot but it may start presenting a security risk if the bots find a way to launch scripts (we go to our own forums, hit a drive-by popup, and get infected with security tool or some other rouge). Not sure how SMF handles scripts but there is always a chance I suppose.
01-05-2011, 02:51 AM,
I purged all spambots. I'll look into getting some anti-spam plugins installed.

Also, I'm really itching to update the website to 2011 web design standards. Possibly a complete overhaul of the design and CMS.
"First let me say welcome to the Resistance, Captain."
01-05-2011, 11:17 AM,
(01-01-2011, 05:59 PM)Compel-X link Wrote: I would recommend we add re-captcha on both. It takes care of about 95% of the spam account creation although it seems a few still seem to get by (usually using foreign email hosters like mailinator, mail.ru, etc). We could add a honey pot but it may start presenting a security risk if the bots find a way to launch scripts (we go to our own forums, hit a drive-by popup, and get infected with security tool or some other rouge). Not sure how SMF handles scripts but there is always a chance I suppose.

I don't see the added value of captcha on starting threads on top of having added captcha to the registration process. Automated spambots will fail at the first already. Captcha on starting threads will put an extra inconvenience on established users. Perhaps captcha for starting threads in the guest book forum, where people can post without registering (if that's still the case).

An alternative to forcing captcha on everyone starting a thread might be user groups. Put all current forum users into a group "trusted" users or something like that, new people into a gropu "new users" and require captcha for that group. Once it's clear they are not spammers they can be promoted.
I guess what they say is true. Send a Silencer in and the job gets done.
01-05-2011, 11:18 AM,
(01-05-2011, 02:51 AM)Keenan Weaver link Wrote: I purged all spambots. I'll look into getting some anti-spam plugins installed.

Also, I'm really itching to update the website to 2011 web design standards. Possibly a complete overhaul of the design and CMS.

Great job!

As far as the website goes, I hope the dark background colours won't go, I find those easier on my eyes. Websites with light or even white back ground are just horrible to read on for an extended period of time.
I guess what they say is true. Send a Silencer in and the job gets done.
01-05-2011, 03:03 PM,
(01-05-2011, 11:18 AM)The Silencer link Wrote: [quote author=Keenan Weaver link=topic=1592.msg7956#msg7956 date=1294195873]
I purged all spambots. I'll look into getting some anti-spam plugins installed.

Great job!

As far as the website goes, I hope the dark background colours won't go, I find those easier on my eyes. Websites with light or even white back ground are just horrible to read on for an extended period of time.
[/quote]

I really enjoy the color scheme; that's definitely gonna stay. Just need to re-do the side bars and the content pages. People like big text now, and we're really small text.

Aside from website changes, I'm going to add more actual content to the site. Probably starting with scanning the official guides and making them PDFs, and making a "tech support" page for DOSBox.
01-13-2011, 05:19 PM,
Goku, I love your new avatar!  8)

Just let me know when you are gonna make changes, I'll create an empty sql database for you to upload the webby and set it up the way you need. Than after we done the new website, I'll redirect http://www.echosector.com to that new folder and we gonna be happy Wink

btw, here is my email for quick contact if i'm off the website - syberion at gmail.com

Feel free to write, so we can cooperate on this issue. Our website really needs an update.  Tongue
"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils." - Hector Berlioz
01-13-2011, 06:31 PM,
Are you all updating SMF as well? o0
01-14-2011, 10:52 PM,
we can install any forum engine. It's just that smf is currently installed. I'm not sure what's Goku's plan. He keeps silent hehehe
"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils." - Hector Berlioz
01-14-2011, 11:33 PM,
Thinking Wordpress. It'd allow for easy page editing and it'd be a lot easier to maintain.

Cyb, I'll use my own FTP for testing, then we'll transfer to CybSys's when it's done. I'll PM you a link to what I'm doing once I start doing it.
01-16-2011, 09:21 AM,
got it. Will be waiting for the info and ready to jump in and help you out with design, color or whatever Wink As always mate  8)