Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just a teaser for what I'm working on
12-09-2010, 06:19 AM,
Re: Just a teaser for what I'm working on
As always, slow.

Most recent progress is:
- The editor allows you to edit the level too now. You can select stuff, move it, rotate it, duplicate it. Not place new yet; that's a TBD.
- The stuff you edit is saved & used the next time you open the level.
- The normals are correct now :-) - there's also a bit of other graphics-work in there but not that much.

Working on loading the original crusader levels now. First steps include loading the globs.flx file and then the actual levels. The Pentagram team have made some nice docs about it - I'm just implementing it :-).

For actual game-look it's most important to find somebody who can make textures & related things (normal maps, parallax maps, models, UV unwraps, that kind of stuff). I'm okayish with making models but I totally suck at UV maps and texturing.
01-02-2011, 12:22 AM,
(12-08-2010, 11:06 PM)Compel-X link Wrote: Candy, how is this coming? Any updates Smile

There's new shinies to admire!

[Image: screeniehq.png]

And yes, all shadows are fully dynamic, all objects that should have gravity fall down (and bounce off one another) & there's even normal maps and specular maps (although I've disabled speculars for this screenie).
01-02-2011, 12:34 AM,
This looks very good!  Smile

"Me like!"  Big Grin
01-10-2011, 11:48 PM,
To keep the pace slightly up, here's my most recent messup. I was changing something fundamental-ish to be able to do effects & to see if I had wrecked the engine I set it to render normals only. Very shortly after, I found out that I had forgotten a slight detail:

[Image: normalshadows.png]

Only the ambient light and SSAO is replaced by normals... the regular lights (and shadows!) are still working. The engine is working quite happily & modularly.

[edit] Now that I notice it, that small stream behind the boxes is a particle stream being updated on the GPU. The ball floating above it is supposed to be a uv-9 bullet that isn't doing what I want yet.
01-11-2011, 01:43 AM,
Awesome indeed. Keep up the good work!
01-11-2011, 08:44 PM,
The special effects that I was trying to make in that movie now work, mostly. As special effects should be moving, here's a youtube link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-j442OTfSmM

For those without youtube or who want to see the 4th effect that didn't make it, here's an image showing them mid-animation. The first three are in that order in the video, the 4th is only here.
[Image: dissolves.png]

From left to right (or start to finish), it's being hit by a UV-9, teleporting, being hit by a PL-1 (or EM-4, not sure yet which) and being hit by the LMG-something from No Regret. The last one I thought should turn you into liquid green goo, hence a dissolve from top to bottom (and when I get to doing that, goo forming where the object dissolved).
01-12-2011, 12:37 AM,
Excellent work indeed! How is the framerate?
01-12-2011, 06:52 AM,
Those special effects don't affect the framerate at all. The overall framerate is currently about 15-20 on my laptop (GeForce 330M). Currently the biggest framerate eater is the shadows; if I disable those it's running at a solid 60fps. They completely re-render the entire world every frame, currently at 1024*1024, so they're the biggest reason it's slow. They still need work too - they're supposed to have soft edges. When they do, I can reduce the resolution (and increase the framerate) easily. Also, I can still move most of the static content onto a pre-generated shadowmap per light, that would save a bit of fillrate / rasterization time too.

It's still feature development, not optimization. I'll first get it working on both my computers (ATI and Nvidia cards) and then, when it's a playable game, make it fast. For now, count on needing a pretty fast card.
01-13-2011, 07:40 PM,
ohhh very, very nice Candy! This looks like candy Wink hehehehe

Btw are you using procedural textures for the barrel? I mean no image map, all computer generated? Would like to see some pre-alpha build and walk around. Looks so cool!
"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils." - Hector Berlioz
01-13-2011, 07:45 PM,
(01-13-2011, 07:40 PM)Cyberion link Wrote: ohhh very, very nice Candy! This looks like candy Wink hehehehe

Btw are you using procedural textures for the barrel? I mean no image map, all computer generated? Would like to see some pre-alpha build and walk around. Looks so cool!

No, the barrel texture was hand-made in the Gimp, with CrazyBump extracting a normal map & a specular map from the colors I designed. I'm still in most dire need of artists who can make decent art, in particular textures.

Right now I'm modifying some engine internals so that the single particle stream can be driven from the game-logic instead of from a hack location :-). That way, I'll be able to put down flame sources and they'll regulate themselves. Then, a valve could be added to control its flow of fire too.