My try for a "sane" 720p intro upscale

Digitalzombie

Heya!

Looooong time lurker here. I was feeling nostalgic and I know that every now and then someone peeks their head in here ;)

Today I tried my hands on upscaling the intro a bit. "Try" because I don't wanted the ugly AI artifacts and keep it as close to the original as possible. I *did* take a little shortcut by using the PSX version (and because I had problems converting the videos from the DOS version) which ahave a slightly better quality (no interlacing).

So here it is:

I may continue for the other clips. We'll see ... :D

Hey, looks pretty good to me. I recently re-played the DOS version of the game and I definitely see a large improvement here compared to the original clips, well done! (y)

Glad you like it ... I don't :D
Nah, that can be done better.

One could cut the intro into different parts and combine the scenes that are "the same". This way the upscaling software won't get confused because there is suddenly a HUD and image effects appearing on screen inbetween. That ... doesn't sound like fun.

But I *do* have 2-3 other ideas that I want to try out. It's a bit of work and I'm lazy, so it may take a while. But as we are not in a hurry here ... ;) There may be a bit more fresh Crusader content in the near future. I think it's time to get some life back in here

Oh well, I understand that feeling of never being really satisfied with your own work, but that has the advantage of prompting us to find ways to improve! ;) I'm certainly interested to see if your other ideas pay off and you can further improve the clips: like you said, we are not in a hurry, so just drop us a line here on the forum whenever you have something new to share 😁

Ooh nice. I'm not sure about the quality of the PSX source videos, but with a few hacks it's easy to produce a version of the PC movies with the interlacing removed if it would help. It might be a better source than the PSX videos after that, maybe? It feels like they have slightly more detail than your first video, but it's hard to tell how much detail my brain is just inferring.

Ooh nice. I'm not sure about the quality of the PSX source videos, but with a few hacks it's easy to produce a version of the PC movies with the interlacing removed if it would help. It might be a better source than the PSX videos after that, maybe? It feels like they have slightly more detail than your first video, but it's hard to tell how much detail my brain is just inferring.

Agreed. We have the deinterlaced movies on the site here: http://echosector.com/files/video/rem/no-remorse-movies.zip

Maybe try them out and see how it turns out! The intro is T02.avi.

@Digitalzombie please do feel free to take these to upscale if you can use them. I know that the people from ScummVM recently did get through to the actual video codec and can now decode it without quality loss from subsequent mpeg encoding, so we *might* be able to get a higher output quality.

Might, because the VQF codec they use already does quite a bit of loss for us.

Thanks! I will take a look at them for sure.

I've looked at the "general" opinion about the videos beforehand and most opinions were that the PSX version has the best quality. But that might be interpolation-bias.

Will poke a bit around ScummVM then too. Let's see what can be found :)

Back