Ancient DOS Games review of No Remorse

Keenan

Administrator
Staff member
Kris Asick of the Internet game review show <a href="http://www.pixelships.com/adg/">Ancient DOS Games</a> has reviewed <em>No Remorse</em>. It's a ~20 minute overview of the game with quite a bit of retrospective analysis. His major concern, obviously, is the control system. Despite being incredibly and fundamentally biased towards this game, I feel the controls aren't that bad after you play a few missions.

<iframe src="http://blip.tv/play/hdwkg5u8MAI.x?p=1" height="433" width="720" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0"></iframe><object style="display: none;" width="320" height="240" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,40,0"><param name="src" value="http://a.blip.tv/api.swf#hdwkg5u8MAI" /><embed style="display: none;" width="320" height="240" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://a.blip.tv/api.swf#hdwkg5u8MAI" /></object>

Watch the review <a href="http://www.pixelships.com/adg/ep0131.html">here</a>.<br /><a class="wordbb-full-post" href="http://www.echosector.com/2014/03/ancient-dos-games-review-of-no-remorse/" title="Ancient DOS Games review of No Remorse">Article: Ancient DOS Games review of No Remorse</a>

Great find! I agree with it on almost everything, especially the botched controls. The difference between me and him is that it bothered me back then already but I loved the game enough to live with it and I don't mind it more now than I did then. I still thoroughly enjoy replaying it from time to time.

I'm not so sure I agree on the movies. He postulates the cheesyness was probably intended. While this could be true I just figured since they were on a tight budget it's all they could get. Although I do agree that some things seem a bit too over the top that it almost must have been intended.

I've never considered, nor has it been suggested to me, that the movies were intentionally cheesy. The game's lore as portrayed in all the manuals and documents suggest otherwise. Maybe I've been reading it wrong all these years, though.

The "level of cheesyness" in movies was dramatically reduced in No Regret. :) The movies in No Regret are actually quite good and they complement the game and style perfectly.

One thing where I thought that might be intentional was the death of Dr. Hoffmann. That was just so over the top. Except for some movies the game has a rather serious tone in my eyes, both in lore and game contents.

The Silencer said:
One thing where I thought that might be intentional was the death of Dr. Hoffmann. That was just so over the top. Except for some movies the game has a rather serious tone in my eyes, both in lore and game contents.

Not just his death, but everything related to Dr. Hoffman is like that, starting from the first time you meet him. Speaking of cheesy moments, Denning's death is one of them in No Regret. :)

In No Regret I really liked the characters you interact with, Denning being the most memorable and likeable. I think prof. Sekada was weak and underdeveloped character and I always found it funny how she referred to herself exclusively as "prof. Sekada". I mean, she introduces herself by saying "Hi! I'm professor Sekada..." :dodgy: You have a first name, woman! :D That one is one of the biggest things that prevented me from caring about this character.

It's a shame we didn't get to see Brooks in No Regret (although we have a text message from her in the RESIST.TXT lore file). It would have been interesting to see how she deals with the Silencer now that he got on her good side. We've only seen her violent side where she promised him every kind of painful deaths.

Yeah, it is a shame. She was one of those characters that during the game and all those flics in which she demonstrates how much she hates you and everything that you represent, you really want to get on your side (and you eventually do). Although, I have to admit, my favorite character from No Remorse was The Wizard. I simply loved that guy and all his remarks and quasi-technical stuff he spewed ("consortium sniffers hot on his tail" and "rewiring jump grids" or something :) ). Can you imagine him and Denning working together?

Wizard was great. "Consortium gadget brigade" "Tin man, fire up your servo's and get to the jump pad on *look* ... level 4." I'm not sure the personalities of Wizard and Denning would work together well though. Wizard was a kind of cheerful character while Denning seemed more gloomy to me (partially because he's "serving a death sentence" with his illness I guess).

The Silencer said:
Wizard was a kind of cheerful character while Denning seemed more gloomy to me (partially because he's "serving a death sentence" with his illness I guess).

I think both Denning and The Wizard are a really well done characters as you can "see" who they are through their distinctive personalities. Denning is a type of "I've been through hell in my life and I have nothing to lose" character, while Wizard has more friendly and open personality.

BTW, I just remembered another cheesy part/character in No Remorse - The Weasel. Boy, was Marco overacting in all his parts (and that's a good thing :D )...

That was part of Weasel's charm if you ask me. I always loved those cut scenes, especially when you decided NOT to buy after all.

I liked General Maxis a lot because in my eyes he was never over the top. He actually came across as someone whom I could see being a military leader. Wizard was the other best done character as he's never over the top and feels natural.

I agree with Denning, so far I like him a lot. I haven't had much experience with cut scenes in No Regret as most of my playthroughs were on a version with no cutscenes.

I love some of Shepherd's reactions. I locked myself in a room on level 4 and he's like "Really? You are the most advanced killing machine in the Consortium and you managed to lock yourself in the broom closet?". A bit over the top acting, but very humorous (so it was well placed over the top).

Once I reach the mission with the Ore seperator I'm going to see if I get different responses when I fail the mission as was the case in No Remorse on the mission where Tax Man dies (you could skip out the mission before blowing up your objective and Ely would be "not amused").

I think Marco Perella said in one interview that he intentionally tried to make The Weasel "borderline demented".

I remember just one situation where Shepherd can react in two ways to your (lack of) actions. In one mission you get to destroy some mechs and if you miss just one of them, you'll see a cutscene with Shepherd chewing you out for being incompetent. :)

BTW, I downloaded and watched the flics outside the game and I found several videos with Weasel that I never saw in the game. Also, there's a flic with Yo-Yo sleeping.

The one of Yo-Yo sleeping I saw once after watching the credits. Perhaps it was a bonus flic that sometimes played.

Regarding the Mechs, that's probably mission three as Shepherd contacted me for doing a good job taking them out. I'll reload a save and play through it leaving one alive to see what he says. Thanks for the tip.

Back