Crusader games in ScummVM?

So I tried using the latest version of ScummVM to play Crusader: No Remorse (today's version is 0dd0e436, Windows-64 bit version on Windows 10). Three things:
(1) It seems to dump me directly into the first level. Why no intro? Is there a "skip intro" flag that is enabled by default that I need to turn off?
(2) The keys are a bit weird. Which I get. Everyone likes a different keyboard setup. But I'm trying to set it so that it's similar to the Crusader: No Remorse original Numeric Keypad movement with Numlock on. This means if I tap [1] I roll left and if I tap [3] I roll right. But...it doesn't appear as though ScummVM has these keyboard options? I can use Left Ctrl to Jump/Roll/Crouch, but there's no button to roll left and right? No [Caps Lock] to Toggle running on or off?
(3) When I start ScummVM with the console on, I get this repeated error message "WARNING: Couldn't load AMF file: sound/M01.amf"? Is there a sound pack I should download to play this game?

Thanks for giving it a go!
For both (1) and (3), you'll need the `FLICS` and `SOUND` directories from the CD, or if you have the gog version, the CD image that's inside. See the wiki for more: https://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php?title=Crusader:_No_Remorse

For (2), I still need to add the numeric pad mappings, it's on the TODO list. My dev was all on my laptop so far so I need to add those and test more with a full-size keyboard.

Thanks for giving it a go!
For both (1) and (3), you'll need the `FLICS` and `SOUND` directories from the CD, or if you have the gog version, the CD image that's inside. See the wiki for more: https://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php?title=Crusader:_No_Remorse
Oh, interesting. I did *not* expect that installation process! Yes, I'm using the GOG version, and I did not think I would need to unarchive the ISO file, and create a new directory, with some files from the game directory, and some files from the unarchived ISO file. I feel like there needs to be some sort of warning or README that comes with adding the game...I've never had to do anything like that when I've added other ScummVM games, like Quest for Glory or Ultima. Is this type of specialized installation common? Now I wonder if I have been adding ScummVM games correctly all this time. I need to make it a habit to read these wiki pages before installing ScummVM games. Thanks for pointing that out to me!

For (2), I still need to add the numeric pad mappings, it's on the TODO list. My dev was all on my laptop so far so I need to add those and test more with a full-size keyboard.
Oh, I don't know about your laptop, but my laptop has a "numpad" feature that allows me to hit a key, and then use a part of the keyboard as a numpad. If your laptop has the same feature, you might be able to implement and test this out without needing to find a desktop computer to test it on.

Impressive work for getting all of this working on your laptop! Kudos!

On the subject of documentation, is there a list somewhere of the scummvm.ini tab options? I want to know if I can manually alter the visual resolution in a similar manner to how we can manually alter the visual resolution of Ultima 8: Pagan, giving me a larger viewing screen than what is seen on the screen.

So I'm playing with the ScummVM version after beating the game using the DOS version. Found a few issues:
(1) It doesn't seem like I can change the difficulty? When I hit [Esc] and then [New Game] and then [No Remorse] it seems like I am still at a normal difficulty level
(2) It doesn't seem like I can move forward and then tweak my direction to the right and left simultaneously like I can in the DOS version. I can only move forward, then stop, then turn, then move forward again. This isn't very comfortable while running.
(3) Aiming seems a bit off. There are times when both me, and the enemy, can't hit each other, even if we are right in front of each other and firing on each other. I'm not sure why. But this happens often enough that I feel like it is easy to reproduce.

I'm now excited to say that No Remorse is ready!!

* added a "high resolution" option that renders in 1024x768!
That's totally awesome. I know I shouldn't be such a graphics baby since you've done so much other excellent work on this game but this is one thing I gotta see!

So I'm playing with the ScummVM version after beating the game using the DOS version. Found a few issues:
(1) It doesn't seem like I can change the difficulty? When I hit [Esc] and then [New Game] and then [No Remorse] it seems like I am still at a normal difficulty level
(2) It doesn't seem like I can move forward and then tweak my direction to the right and left simultaneously like I can in the DOS version. I can only move forward, then stop, then turn, then move forward again. This isn't very comfortable while running.
(3) Aiming seems a bit off. There are times when both me, and the enemy, can't hit each other, even if we are right in front of each other and firing on each other. I'm not sure why. But this happens often enough that I feel like it is easy to reproduce.

I concur on all these points. An easy test to compare the controls is hold down, then hold left or right to try and walk backwards in a circle. I can't replicate this in the ScummVM version. Aiming is definitely not the same either.

A few questions to answer since I've been awol a couple of weeks..

Installation Process
Unfortunately this is a side effect of history and gog's choices. The original game (and subsequent updates) normally only partly installed onto HDD, leaving the movies and music on the CD, and the gog package follows this format - HDD files and a CD image. Ideally you want the patched version of the game data (1.21) but because the CD image they include only has 1.01 files you can't just use them. Because the HDD image is missing the music and movies, you can't just use it. I toyed with the idea of a modal informing users they were missing the movies and would need to get them from the CD - I might still add that as it seems to have confused a few people.

Documentation of ini options
Not at the moment sorry, I need to write it. Since it's the same engine most of the ultima8 engine options work, but that doesn't help if you don't know what those are :)

Difficulty level on new game
What version are you using? I reworked the startup sequence on ~Apr 15 (see https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm/commit/294b22a90da0209d72a32f42fce0acb156daa1aa) so if you have a build after that it should work (works for me?) but please let me know if this is still broken for you on a build newer than that

Tweaking angle
Generally if you hold down the key for a little bit it works but I need to improve this to match the game so you can just "tap" the key. Currently if only works if you have the key down at exactly the right moment in the animation, but I should make it remember that there is a pending turn to process if you just tap the key.

Aiming
I have looked at this code so many times but it still seems slightly wrong. Interestingly it is more obviously broken in No Regret. I'm not sure why that is.

A few questions to answer since I've been awol a couple of weeks..

Installation Process
Unfortunately this is a side effect of history and gog's choices. The original game (and subsequent updates) normally only partly installed onto HDD, leaving the movies and music on the CD, and the gog package follows this format - HDD files and a CD image. Ideally you want the patched version of the game data (1.21) but because the CD image they include only has 1.01 files you can't just use them. Because the HDD image is missing the music and movies, you can't just use it. I toyed with the idea of a modal informing users they were missing the movies and would need to get them from the CD - I might still add that as it seems to have confused a few people.

Not at the moment sorry, I need to write it. Since it's the same engine most of the ultima8 engine options work, but that doesn't help if you don't know what those are :)

What version are you using? I reworked the startup sequence on ~Apr 15 (see https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm/commit/294b22a90da0209d72a32f42fce0acb156daa1aa) so if you have a build after that it should work (works for me?) but please let me know if this is still broken for you on a build newer than that

Tweaking angle
Generally if you hold down the key for a little bit it works but I need to improve this to match the game so you can just "tap" the key. Currently if only works if you have the key down at exactly the right moment in the animation, but I should make it remember that there is a pending turn to process if you just tap the key.

Aiming
I have looked at this code so many times but it still seems slightly wrong. Interestingly it is more obviously broken in No Regret. I'm not sure why that is.
Installation Process
Yeah...maybe a GOG-specific error message might be best. I don't really know an elegant way to handle this one. I just know I probably would not have figured that one out on my own.

Oh, Crusader uses the same options as Pagan? OK, that's all I need to know. Thanks!

Hmm, I just downloaded the "36d395b2" build for Windows (64 bits), removed Crusader, added Crusader, started the game, then selected a New Game...and I couldn't get an advanced difficulty. I started shooting my gun, and there was no bullet counter. I had infinite bullets. On the No Remorse difficulty, I should have limited bullets for my main gun.

Thanks for getting back to me! Good luck with fixing the aiming bug...that definitely seems like a stumper.

Hmm, I just downloaded the "36d395b2" build for Windows (64 bits), removed Crusader, added Crusader, started the game, then selected a New Game...and I couldn't get an advanced difficulty. I started shooting my gun, and there was no bullet counter. I had infinite bullets. On the No Remorse difficulty, I should have limited bullets for my main gun.
Oh! That's just an oversight on my part. The number of enemies and damage levels should be scaled correctly (please tell me if that bit is broken), but I totally forgot to implement limited ammo for Loose Cannon and No Remorse difficulty. That's not too hard to add, I've filed a bug https://bugs.scummvm.org/ticket/12880

Oh! That's just an oversight on my part. The number of enemies and damage levels should be scaled correctly (please tell me if that bit is broken), but I totally forgot to implement limited ammo for Loose Cannon and No Remorse difficulty. That's not too hard to add, I've filed a bug https://bugs.scummvm.org/ticket/12880

I started the new game in the "No Remorse" difficulty, and the damage that is dealt to me definitely seems to be off. I can just stand there and take about 40 bullets until my Electric shield goes down, and then about 8 bullets before my health goes down. I die...far earlier...when I play using DOSBox in the "No Remorse" difficulty.

Thanks again for the reports - I'd been looking at this for long enough that I'd overlooked some items that are obvious in hindsight.

I've fixed the "tap to turn", now pop up a message for installation issues (if the intro movie can't be loaded), and the BA-40 consumes ammo in the latest nightlies.

The general aiming issue and difficulty-level-based-damage problem will need more work to work through the disassembly again to work out the right fixes - at least they kind of balance each other a bit 😹

---

Update: I found 2 causes of the No Remorse level shield damage not being correct much faster than I expected. It now seems to match the original (and it's super hard, ouch).

Unfortunately this just makes the aiming bug all the more painful!

Last edited:
Lots of great input (thanks all!), but a forum is not the best bugtracker and my replies have been quite piecemeal, so to give an overall summary of status here is my full TODO list for No Remorse in rough priority order:
  • Aiming seems off, keep missing guys we should hit
  • Walk backwards while trying to turn?
  • Add num-pad controls
  • Enemy AI is still a bit wrong
  • Implement side steps for usecode-initiated anims
  • Double-check splash damage, guys don't catch fire enough?
  • Work out when to play weapon draw anim
  • Ramp shouldn't retract on level 1 after getting secret?
  • Thresher cannon should not have crosshair
  • Add "jump" to tab key
  • Video Intrinsic 00F should fade background to grey (currently just dims colors)
  • Reset NPCs in Item::enterFastArea
  • Implement original Crusader Save/Load gump (called from cruasder menu)
  • Implement cheats
  • Weapon+item name translations for ES etc

No guarantee when (if?) I'll get to all this. Let me know if anything seems to have dropped off the list.

I think I finally discovered the source(s) of the aiming problems, and have just pushed a fix for 2 discrepancies I found. The next daily should target a bit better. Certainly feels better to me now.

One common criticism over the years with these games has been the poor controls that under-utilize the mouse. I think a lot more people would get into these games if there was a "modern controls" mode that basically works like the following:

LCLICK (held) ground = walk . LCLICK usable object = use (with outline indicators)
RCLICK (held) ground = run
MCLICK = jump
RSHIFT (held) = stand still with gun drawn (and turn where cursor moves)
+LCLICK = fire
+left/right/up/down =shuffle
RCTRL (held) = crouch with gun drawn (and turn where cursor moves)
+LCLICK = fire
+left/right = roll

I would also remove the forced "turning" when changing directions in this mode. This is one of the biggest reasons why the movement feels slow and frustrating, and it equally affects Ultima 8.

If someone were to code all this, it would then be worth experimenting with enemy selection/targetting, and possibly some kind of laser sight that helps indicate when your bullets are obstructed and when they aren't.

I feel like most people would want WASD + mouse, in a way similar to Synthetik. I'm personally all for options, but I sure wouldn't use new control schemes. Seeing people play Resident Evil HD remake with the new alternative control scheme (which is default, for some reason) makes me shudder.

One common criticism over the years with these games has been the poor controls that under-utilize the mouse. I think a lot more people would get into these games if there was a "modern controls" mode that basically works like the following:

LCLICK (held) ground = walk . LCLICK usable object = use (with outline indicators)
RCLICK (held) ground = run
MCLICK = jump
RSHIFT (held) = stand still with gun drawn (and turn where cursor moves)
+LCLICK = fire
+left/right/up/down =shuffle
RCTRL (held) = crouch with gun drawn (and turn where cursor moves)
+LCLICK = fire
+left/right = roll

I would also remove the forced "turning" when changing directions in this mode. This is one of the biggest reasons why the movement feels slow and frustrating, and it equally affects Ultima 8.

If someone were to code all this, it would then be worth experimenting with enemy selection/targetting, and possibly some kind of laser sight that helps indicate when your bullets are obstructed and when they aren't.
I agree with you. I know the controls for the game were pretty bad by today's standards. Back then, we basically used the same schema as Ultima 8. If you look at Ultima Underworld, they were not using WASD and controls that you see today... Right Click to move and Left Click to shoot/interact. I could see incorporating modern controls would really give the game a different feel... A better one in my opinion.

There's a rather amusing thread on the GOG forums of people crapping on the game's controls, its use of numlock and capslock, the character moving with the "grace of a train" lol.

And yeah, Ultima Underworld is another game whose controls have aged poorly. No mouselook, toggling in and out of interaction, etc.

Back