No Crusader II? It's a good thing

Shadowen

Hear me out.

It was probably a barely-functional alpha screenshot, but the Crusader II screen I saw wasn't all that inspiring, even when I first saw it back in 2000.  It looked like a slightly higher resolution treatment of Crusader, with the standard color-coded multiplayer deathmatch, and possibly the addition of the flamethrower as a weapon.

From what I've heard since, Tony Z was going to try for to rebuild the engine from scratch and make it...but it was still going to be a plain old shooter.  One with a good story, but once the action started, relatively mindless.  Quake II in the third person.

Well, let me tell you, having played games with more than action, games where the story was the entire focus, games with a Point, and them all being fun...it can be done better than a mindless blastfest.  Especially in light of events of the past few years, terrorism, civil rights, and so forth coming to the fore of the popular consciousness.

This is of course not to say that I don't want another Crusader game--I have in fact been toying with the outline of one for some years now.  What I'm saying is that, if we do get one, it will be a good thing that it has taken this long.  We're actually starting to get to a technological level that I feel would be able to handle my ideas... :p

Shadowen said:
Hear me out.

It was probably a barely-functional alpha screenshot, but the Crusader II screen I saw wasn't all that inspiring, even when I first saw it back in 2000.  It looked like a slightly higher resolution treatment of Crusader, with the standard color-coded multiplayer deathmatch, and possibly the addition of the flamethrower as a weapon.

From what I've heard since, Tony Z was going to try for to rebuild the engine from scratch and make it...but it was still going to be a plain old shooter.  One with a good story, but once the action started, relatively mindless.  Quake II in the third person.

Well, let me tell you, having played games with more than action, games where the story was the entire focus, games with a Point, and them all being fun...it can be done better than a mindless blastfest.  Especially in light of events of the past few years, terrorism, civil rights, and so forth coming to the fore of the popular consciousness.

This is of course not to say that I don't want another Crusader game--I have in fact been toying with the outline of one for some years now.  What I'm saying is that, if we do get one, it will be a good thing that it has taken this long.  We're actually starting to get to a technological level that I feel would be able to handle my ideas... :p

Honestly...I don't think I ever want to see a new crusader game. Sure I would have enjoyed a 3rd one with the same "engine".

Not to mention that if they create one they will make sure to cash you out with DLCs and other sequels.

Back