The Eternal Champion

Shadowen

It's not a new concept, but I realize I've been pretty much playing around with it for months, even years now.

The Eternal Champion is an idea where someone with very similar traits exists in multiple universes, but is not the same person, and does not even have the same name.  There might be different parents, completely different backgrounds (one born a pauper, the other a prince), but always, always a tantalizing similarity here and there, and often you find that they would react very much the same way to similar circumstances.  This, however, is not a coincidence of many writers thinking similarly, but one writer thinking epically.

I've found myself writing stories featuring a mysterious near-superhuman warrior, often dressed in red, and traveling alone throughout the world, even when he has companions on all sides...

hmmm another great puzzle of Universe.

btw, this could be a very interesting concept for a movie, book or game. Multiple universe, different people, time and space collapse, they meet, talk, investigate and found out that they are the same person. Actually personality, than they meet... hmm aliens? evil mind... God? something like this. I do nto know, we may ponder upon this ;)

I like that idea very much. It's gonna be interesting reading this stuff.  8)

Cyberion link said:
hmmm another great puzzle of Universe.

btw, this could be a very interesting concept for a movie, book or game. Multiple universe, different people, time and space collapse, they meet, talk, investigate and found out that they are the same person. Actually personality, than they meet... hmm aliens? evil mind... God? something like this. I do nto know, we may ponder upon this ;)

Already been done.  That's where the title comes from.  The Eternal Champion is, I believe, the title of a series by Michael Moorcock, about a character named Elric of Melnibone.

Also there is a movie called The One with Jet Li.

Here is a summary of the story:

There is not one universe, but there are many, which is a multiverse. Supposing you are just one person, there are many other versions of you in the other universes, there are ways to travel, but only a police agency,MVA, can travel only for police procedures. Gabriel Yulaw (Jet Li)is a former MVA agent, who killed another version of himself in self-defense. It made the other versions of him stronger. When Yulaw found out about this, he became power-hungry killing the 122 other versions for two years.

I shortened it a bit ^^

I saw that movie :D They took great idea and showed us 2 Jet Lees :D That's where this great idea stopped and mortal kombat began.

But I would love to see something, which develops this idea. Did anyone watched Parrelle Worlds (spelling)? It was a TV series. Although i'm not quite sure about the english name for it. The idea of being in multiple universe was developed there quite good I must say...

One (and the only one) of my favorite novels that has something to do with multi-universes is Timeline by Michael Crichton.  Of coz, such concept in the book is for use to replace the old-fashioned time traveling only. No plot of someone fights/meets with himself is invovled. Anyway, it's kind of refreshment when I was first introduced to such theory by reading it.

Cyberion link said:
Did anyone watched Parrelle Worlds (spelling)? It was a TV series. Although i'm not quite sure about the english name for it. The idea of being in multiple universe was developed there quite good I must say...

The only TV series I know about multiple universe is Sliders... Is it that one ?

The Eternal Champion: BattleTech

One of the smallest and, in theory, weakest of the Clans is Blood Spirit.  Insular and withdrawn from Clan society, they nonetheless have terrifyingly stringent training requirements.  Their small fighting force is among the elite of the Clans, and while they lag behind many of the other Clans technologically, they do have one advantage...

As a young BattleMech cadet, Spencer Cochraine was very washed out after a training accident with a Jenner IIc resulted in the destruction of the 'Mech and his own near death.  An investigation cleared him, when it revealed that his actions probably saved the lives of the trainer and his classmates.  Rather than being returned to training, however, Cochraine's obvious skills had him transferred to a new division.

After Clan Smoke Jaguar's obliteration, the few surviving Clan members, materiel, and technology passed to the other clans through Trials of Possession...and the ProtoMech, a bridge between armored infantry and BattleMechs, was largely gained by Clan Blood Spirit.  Though others scavenged a few of the new designs, only Blood Spirit pursued research and development into it with a vengeance.

Cochraine's abilities led his superiors to believe he had precisely the sort of temperament needed for the further testing and development of ProtoMechs, and indeed, he excelled, and along with two others became the foremost in their test group.  Yet the three became so by going almost violently against tradition.  Whereas even as late as 3067 the Clans were still clinging to their preference of fighting one to one, Cochraine and his two friends were playing dirty, ganging up and otherwise fighting "dishonorably".

Ordered to stop, they don't.  Threatened with a loss of rank, warrior's status, and other privileges, they return that if they are punished for not being stupid, that says more about their commanders than them.  Finally, they are detained.

Or at least, detention is attempted.

The three of them prove far more dangerous than anticipated, and it is realized that when they called their tactics in training "playing" dirty, they meant playing.  Cutting loose, the three soldiers manage to escape and commandeer a trio of ProtoMechs, but are caught by a Vulture heavy BattleMech.  Cochraine's friends die, but superior tactics allow him to severely damage the Vulture to the point where its pilot is easily executed by him.

From there, he hijacks a small Dropship, then a JumpShip, and heads towards the Inner Sphere...

(If you had trouble following this version, check out the BattleTech Wiki for more info on BattleTech.)

Back