Crusader series - dev tools/SDK/whatever...

Hello everyone!

It's been a few years since anyone even tried to discuss getting original Crusader dev-tools from anyone who worked at Origin back in a day. A few names have been mentioned (Jason Ely, Mark Vittek) and some attempts have been made, but no results.

Well, are there any changes regarding the status of this issue? I mean, almost 17 years (!!!) have passed since the last Crusader game and I don't really see the reason (other than, of course, legal ones) why would anyone from the original development team refuse to give us the tools they used to develop Crusader series.

Keenan, you said (back in 2011.) that you've already asked once for source code and that you could ask again. Well - ask again, please. :)

I would not underestimate the problem of legal issues preventing former members of the Crusader team to release to the public the source code or any tools they used to develop the game. I understand that EA still retains all rights on Crusader (including its source code/tools/etc, I guess), so unfortunately I don't think the source code or anything else could be released without their say so.

i might try and build it in godot from the ground up, for fun. any way to get the sprite ripping tool? the files webpage is broken. anyone have a link to the tool?

i might try and build it in godot from the ground up, for fun. any way to get the sprite ripping tool? the files webpage is broken. anyone have a link to the tool?
Awesome! Good choice on Godot.

Sprite tool link working for me on my end, both links. Regardless, I've attached it here.

Attachments

• crusader_explorer.rar
    325.1 KB · Views: 6
Oh, didn't realize this thread existed. I kinda wrote a pack of dev tools to reverse engineer the data formats and uploaded it to https://github.com/dascandy/cnr . There's FLX archive extracting, shape drawing (watch out, there are tens of thousands so some OSes might choke), reading type info for shapes and drawing the levels. If you have any other dev-tool kind of thing let me know and I might be able to make it.

Creating custom levels is possible with this, creating *working* levels is not. I have no idea how to hook up a switch to a door.

Back