How to watch AVI movies in No Regret?

Cyberion

Administrator
How to watch AVI movies in No Regret?

This information was taken from Mark Vittek's Crusader Page.

If you have No Regret, you have the tools! Because the flicks and movie for No Regret were compressed under
an in-house system, you can not watch them as you would standard AVI's.

Instead you will have to use XANMOVIE.EXE found on the No Regret disk in the /GATE/TRAILERS directory.

The easiest way to do this is to copy XAN*.* to C:\Windows. While in a DOS window go to the /FLICS directory on No Regret.
Now just type XANMOVIE [filename.avi] to watch.

My personal favorites are ANIM13.AVI (the intro to the game)
and 08D.AVI (when Ely dies, if you've never seen it.)

Sorry, does not work with No Remorse.

Or If you want to play them through Windows

Copy the xanlib.dll found in /Gate/Trailer on the No Regret disk  into your C:Windows/System directory. Then edit your System.INI in you r C:/Windows directory and add VIDC.XXAN=xanlib.dll down near the other VIDC (just do a search.)

You can also add MSACM.axan=axanlib.acm after it  (but until we locate the axanlib.acm the flicks will not have sound.)

Once you save and restart your system, when you go into the /Flics directory on No Regret and double-click on any AVI, Windows will now play the flics, (but without sound, sorry.)

Using these you can easily ALT+Print Screen in order to capture images. CTRL+V into your favorite art program.

You can also play the No Regret videos in Windows by changing the extensions on the individual video files and associating that extension with the XAN player application. (I did this on my WinXP so I know it works? ;D)

How to do it:

1 - Copy the XANMOVIE.EXE and XANLIB.DLL files to the same directory of your choice (while techically this is a violation of copyright law, I don't think Mssrs. Vittek and Zourvec [or whomever holds the rights] will mind)

2 - Copy the videos you wish to view to a re-writeable storage location (e.g. a hard drive, re-writable CD/DVD/floppy, flash drive)

3 - Re-name the video files you wish to view, changing the extension from .avi to .xan (or whatever); file names can, of course be anything you like, but the extension should not be associated with any active file type in your system (e.g. .jpg , .zip , .dll )

4 - Right-click on the re-named file and select the "Open with..." option on the pop-up menu

5 - Click on the "Browse" button ("Other" on Win2K and older), and then navigate through your folders until you find your copied XANMOVIE.EXE file; select this file.

6 - Click/checkmark the box beside "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file" (or "Always use this program to open these files" on Win2K and older)

7 - Click on the "OK" button -- the re-named video file should play successfully at fullscreen resolution

8 - After the video has finished playing, returning you to your regular screen, you should find the re-named file's icon has changed to resemble the icon for XANMOVIE.EXE? :eek: (pretty cool side effect, eh?) -- if you double click on this re-named and re-iconed file it should open and play automatically.

9 - To make more video files able to play in the same manner, simply copy and re-name the file's extension to the one you used above; its icon should change automatically, and you should be able to play them at your leisure.

-- ONE DRAWBACK --? :'(

When the Crusader: No Regret videos play, they automatically re-size your screen's resolution for the duration of the movie, then return your screen's resolution to its pre-set state when finished. This should have no effect on your windows and desktop... BUT... I have found that unless your desktop icons are automatically arranged, rather than snapped to a grid or placed wherever you like on the desktop, any icons outside the video's playing resolution (say 800x600, or whatever it is) will be moved into that resolution-sized area (in the screen's upper-left) and automatically arranged; the desktop outside of that area will be cleared of the moved icons. (Of course, this assumes your screen's set/normal resolution is larger than the video's, i.e. 1600x1200 or whatever)

While this doesn't affect your programs and/or systems in any MATERIAL way, it can bear upon how you want your desktop to appear. (In my case, I ultimately decided to hide all of my desktop icons, opting to access them through a toolbar.)

But that's another way to watch the No Regret AVIs!? :D

- Ittousagi

Back